How Sailing Affects Your Physical and Mental Health
Canary Islands – September 12, 2015 – There are still a lot of people who don’t know what sailing is, whether or not it is a sport or a hobby. When they can’t even understand what sailing is, you can assume that these people are surely unaware of all the physical and mental health benefits that sailing gives to a person. What they don’t know is that sailing is not only fun, it also helps the body as it is a great addition to a person’s fitness regime.
Here are some of the physical and mental benefits one could get from sailing.
- Muscle Strength Enhancement and Endurance. When a person engages in sailing, you can expect that person to get involved in the many activities of sailing such as pulling or hoisting of sails. These activities make use of various muscles in the arms, shoulder and back.
- Mental Wellness. The seawater is one of the most calming places in the world not because of the color blue or the water itself but because of a chemical found in the human body that is further triggered by the saltiness of the air. Since the sea air is composed of heavily charged ions, this would result in the absorption of the oxygen to become more balanced which would then produce more serotonin. This means that sailing affects a person’s mood positively.
- Cardiovascular Health Improvement. Sailing can be likened to intense sports such as tennis and baseball. This means, that sailing can reduce the chances of hypertension, heart illnesses and even obesity.
- Flexibility and Agility Enhancement. The activities of sailing, such as pulling and hoisting sails can help improve hand and eye coordination. These activities would also help enhance or improve one’s flexibility and agility.
- Sailing can also be a relaxing activity due to the splashing and the color of the water. This would greatly help reduce stress and soothes the mind.
- Improves Concentrations. Everyone knows that the sea can be unpredictable at times and in order to stay safe, one would have to improve on their focus especially when multi-tasking.
Now that you know some of the benefits you can get from sailing, do you now understand that sailing is not just a sport or a hobby? It is also a body improving activity. So, are you now willing to engage in sailing? If you do not know how, the answer is simple. You can take
RYA sailing courses in the sun!